Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Letter from Rees








Hey everyone! I hope all is well. Everything is going good here. Thanks everyone for all the emails. I love to hear how everything´s going. So this week I got to baptize another pregnate girl. In case you didn´t know the first one was pregnate too. Her name is Viridiana and her family is all members but only her mom is active. Her mom was the only one of her family at her baptism, but her joy made up for the others not being there. I can´t even describe how amazing it is to feel the Spirit during a baptism. It is unbelievable how strong it is. One thing that a speaker told us in a talk in the MTC is that the forgiveness of sins is the greatest miracle on earth. And it is so true. There is nothing more amazing than seeing someone become clean from everything. The spanish is finally coming. I can finally actually talk to people when we visit them. Before I would just sit there and listen, but now I´m actually involved in the conversation. So that´s good. It´s really fun to talk to people and then after, I try and think about what I said but I have no idea. The words are just starting to come. Everyone new I talk to always comments how they have noticed how fast missionaries learn the language, and that´s a perfect way to start teaching. Anyways, I´m rambling quite a bit. So I forgot to tell you in my last letter about the wonderful meal I ate. It´s called ´´patas de res´´. And it´s cow feet! Ya, you guessed it, nasty! haha The taste of it actually wasn´t too bad, but it was like eating rubber. I couldn´t chew it. And I knew it was something different because everyone was talking about it but I just tuned them out so I wouldn´t hear what it was. Then afterwards my comp told me. It was gross. O, and today I ate another wonderful part of a cow. The sister told me it was just meat from a cow, and when she handed me my plate, there was 4 tongues! It´s weird becuase it didn´t taste all that bad, but I knew what it was and I couldn´t finish it, so my comp ate it for me. haha Anyways, besides the food with members, I have found the best food in the world. There is a taco stand right by our house and we eat tacos al pastor there. It´s super cheap so that makes it that much better. The guys who work there are really nice and always give us discounts and some free tacos. We eat there every night on our way home. I wish I could send some home for everyone because they are seriously to die for. So ya, the food has its ups and downs. O, so something that I´ve noticed that is really funny here is the names of movies. Because they translate them into spanish, well they try to translate them. A member had the movie Wild Hogs and I looked at the title and in english is was Rebels With a Cause. And that new movie The Happening is called something like The Last Day of the World. It´s just funny how different everything is. Anyways, everything´s going good. My companion has really been studying english a lot lately and I hope I don´t sound as weird as him when I talk. But it is pretty cool cuz there are quite a few people who speak english. It´s all the people who lived in the U.S. for a while. But then they got deported = ) . Well, I think that´s about it. O, so there is a picture of the baptism, and of us painting that family´s house today, and of those delicious tacos. I love you all, and hope everything is going great. Tell everyone hi and I love them. Can´t wait to hear from everyone!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Tell Rees that Ed's family would have fit in well down in Mexico. They've tried to feed me all those foods (and as if there was nothing wrong with it)! YUK! I feel his pain.

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

Sounds like Rees is doing great! He seems like he is really enjoying the mission and catching onto the language better now! I would have thrown up if someone made me eat cow tongue!!! YUCK!!!

Brooke said...

Hi Cindy!

I found your blog off of Brianne's. Wow things have changed since the last time I was around your family!! Your kids look like they are all doing great!!

Brooke (Flake) Ashton

barryblog said...

Wow. I bet that food is not on my diet!!