Thursday, September 18, 2008

Riley Update

It seems that patriotism is on our minds this month so I wanted to share an awesome experience I had a couple of weeks ago. Riley has a buddy in Iraq with him, his name is Anthony. They became good friends at Ft. Stewart. Anthony's mom, Lisa, received an e-mail from her son several months ago, he mentioned that the kids at school in Iraq had one pencil to share amongst ten kids. He wondered if she could start collecting pencils to send to Iraq so he could take them to the schools. Realizing that there were things our soldiers could use also, Lisa started a charity, "Treats for Troops". She began collecting things that our soldiers needed, baby wipes, chapstick, socks, deodorant, etc. The biggest problem was the postage to send the things over. She told me of times she stood in line at the post office with many boxes and people in line just started giving her money to help pay for shipping. I am so touched by the generosity of the American people. In September Lisa held a fundraiser on the Battleship New Jersey (pictured below) and I was privileged to attend this event. My sister Tammy, who lives in Philly, donated a signed football by her amazing husband "Coach Reid" (for those of you who don't know, he coaches the Philadelphia Eagles) and tickets to a game. She was able to attend with me, thanks Tam!!! Riley's buddy was on leave at the time (he and I are pictured below). We were able to hear from a lady who lost her son in Iraq, but continues sending things on his behalf. If you would like to read her story, go to www.adamconboymemorialfund.org. Another treat was the bagpipers from the police and fire department, have you ever heard "If You Think I'm Sexy" played on bagpipes??? I have!!!!! Thank you Lisa for all that you do for our troops and thank you everyone else who remembers them in their prayers. We are so blessed to live in this beautiful country and enjoy the freedoms that we do!! Thank you Riley for serving your country, I am proud of you son.





3 comments:

Briannon said...

geeze, cin, looking pretty hot in the picture there, i think the bag pipers were playing for you!;)

Cindy said...

thanks Breba, I know they were playing for me!!!

Cheryl said...

How did miss this post? It made me tear up! I need to write to Riley and thank him for me and my family for all he and the other soldiers do for us. What brave men & women.